Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Dentist Update

Yesterday was the day! I got my cavities filled! For years my teeth and jaw have hurt so bad from being so squished together after getting so many fillings the last time. I had requested that the dentist file those down a bit when he was in there working, and he did!
The final cavity tally was actually just 5, rather than the original 6 I'd thought. I needed 3 on my top right side, 1 on my bottom right and 1 on my top left. Normally, the dentist suggests that much work be split into 2 visits. No, not me! I asked if they could just do it all at once. Making sure I had the time off work, getting a babysitter, borrowing a car...that's a lot of work! I just wanted to get it all over at once. So, I ended up with 3 quadrants of my mouth numb. My right side was so numb, it went all the way up to my eyelashes, numbed the right side of my nose (so it felt like the worst stuffy nose ever!), and all the way over to my ear. Very weird feeling! It finally wore off just in time for dinner.
After he was done doing all the work, he asked me to bite down, and tell him if one side was hitting before the other. I'd noticed a long time ago that my left side would touch first. This was my chance to fix it too! He filed that side down just a bit, so all my teeth hit at the same time. He'd also notice a spot on one tooth that was getting a little extra impact from the tooth it meets up with, so he filed it down too, finally making my entire bite more comfortable than it has been in years!
There are a few spots that need to be filed down a bit more, but I couldn't tell when I was numb. I had already scheduled my 6 month visit, so I think I will wait and see if they wear back down on their own, and if not, I'll get them fixed in August at that visit.
So many people have always said to me "You have such beautiful teeth." I would always do my fake smile and say "Thank you!" while inwardly thinking "Yes, but they are rotting out!" Now, when I hear that, I can flash my pearly white smile and genuinely say "Thank you!" Wahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment